Affinity Health Group Patient-Centered Medical Home
Since February 2012, Affinity Health Group, LLC has been recognized by the National Committee on Quality Assurance as a Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH). We have been working hard to transform and improve our practice because we saw the need for and benefits of this new model of care. We want you to learn more about the Patient Centered Medical Home so you can take better advantage of the services we offer and so you can join us in improving your health.
In 2007, all of the major national primary care organizations agreed on the seven Joint Principles of the Patient Centered Medical Home that have guided us in this journey:
Personal physician – you can expect to have one clinician (Physician or NP) guiding your care.
Physician directed medical team – AHG is working as a team to improve your health and health care.
Whole person orientation – we will work to know who you are and what you need for better health.
Care is coordinated – your care is coordinated by our team.
Quality and safety are priorities – we measure our performance in your care to find ways to improve.
Access to care and communications are enhanced – at AHG we have worked to make it easier for you to communicate and to schedule appointments timely with convenient care.
Payment structure – the payment recognizes the added value provided to patients who have a medical home.
Read our brochure to learn more about the Patient Centered Medical Home
What is a Medical Home?
A medical home is having a "home base" for your health care needs. The place where you usually go for health care can be your medical home. But a medical home is more than just a place; it is how you are cared for.
In a Medical Home:
- You have a doctor who helps keep you healthy. When you get sick, the doctor and staff may bring in other team members who can best help.
- Care is focused on the person as a whole, not just one part or problem.
- Your family is at the center of care.
- The doctor and staff include your family in making decisions about your health care.
What are the benefits of a Medical Home?
A Medical Home:
Opens up sharing of information between your doctor and family. This improves how problems are solved and leads to better health and quality of life for you.
- Builds mutual respect between your family and care givers.
- Detects problems early on to reduce visits to the Emergency Room and hospital. This lowers family stress, health care costs, and the number of days missed from school/work.
- Medical Home is a new way of thinking about health care.
Make Each Doctor's Visit Work for You!
Before your visit:
- Write down your questions and worries
- If you see a specialist, request the report be sent to your PCP
On the day of your visit:
- Bring all your medicine with you
- Bring Medicare, Medicaid, or other insurance card
- Bring list of questions
- If you need help, ask a famiy member to join you
At your doctor's office:
- Relax! Ask questions! Take notes. Say something when you don’t understand
- Ask your doctor to tell you the values of your blood pressure, weight, and lab tests
- Keep records of these values
- Ask your doctor when you should schedule your next visit
- Remember, your doctor wants the very best for you!