Affinity Speech Therapy
Affinity Health Management Center
Please call the office today at (318) 807-1500 to schedule an appointment or visit us at 1325 Louisville Ave., Monroe, LA 71201.
What is Speech Therapy?
A speech-language pathologist, or speech therapist, evaluates and treats children and adults who have difficulty speaking, listening, reading, writing, or swallowing. The overall objective of speech-language pathology services is to optimize individuals' ability to communicate and swallow, thereby improving quality of life.
The following are examples of adult candidates for speech therapy:
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Cognitive disorders (caused by Alzheimer’s disease, brain tumors, stroke, or traumatic brain injury)
- Aphasia (difficulty with formulation or comprehension of language)
- Voice Disorders
A child candidate for speech therapy may include:
- Birth complications
- Developmental delays
- Attention disorders
- Hearing loss
Speech & Language Milestones
Each child develops at his/her own pace, so it may be difficult to tell exactly when your child will learn a given skill. These developmental milestones are designed to give you a general idea of the changes you can expect as your child grows.
1 Year Milestones
- Enjoys imitating people: tries to imitate sounds
- Responds to "no"; uses simple gestures, such as pointing to an object
- Babbles with changes in tone; may use single words ("dada", "mama", "uh-oh")
2 Year Milestones
- Understands several words
- Begins to sort shapes and colors
- Recognizes names of familiar people and objects
3 Year Milestones
- Shows affection and has a wide range of emotions
- Makes mechanical toys work
- Matches objects to pictures "go outside, swing?"
- Uses pronouns (I, you, me) and some plurals (cars, dogs)
4 Year Milestones
- Cooperates with other children
- Names some colors; understands counting
- Speaks in sentences of 5-6 words
- Speaks clearly enough for strangers to understand
- Understands "same" and "different"
5 Year Milestones
- Shows increased independence
- Likes to sing, dance, and act
- Can count 10 or more objects correctly
- Able to name at least four colors
- Speaks in sentences of more than five words and tells longer stories
Meet the Staff